To promote the sharing of scientific results and the co-construction of knowledge with society
With the complex nature of current societal issues (climate change, energy transition, digital transition, etc.), the research world, questioned by society, is aiming for greater sharing of scientific results, greater transparency of scientific processes and the emergence of new forms of dissemination and development of knowledge.
Because of its missions and its many areas of research and expertise, particularly with regard to the city of tomorrow, Université Gustave Eiffel is developing it openness to society.
A co-constructed approach to openness
The university wishes to open up its research to society and, to this end, is co-constructing a roadmap focusing on the following areas:
- Digital publishing and open access
- Opening data and research software
- Scientific, technical and industrial culture
- Participatory science, research and expertise
In line with the current dynamics
Whether at national or international level, the context is favourable to opening up research to society. The momentum has accelerated in recent years, and the university will base its approach on the following texts:
- November 2014 - The Rome Declaration setting out recommendations on the concept of responsible research and innovation
- February 2016 - Publication of the report on Participatory sciences in France following the mission of François Houllier for the ministries in charge of National Education, Higher Education and Research
- October 2016 - Promulgation of French Law n° 2016-1321 of 7 October 2016 for a digital republic
- March 2017 - Publication of the white paper on taking the knowledge society seriously by ALLISS
- March 2017 - Publication of the national strategy for scientific, technical and industrial culture
- July 2018 - National Open Science Plan making open access mandatory in France for publications and for data from project-funded research.
First actions by Université Gustave Eiffel
In order to address public concerns about health and environmental risks, Université Gustave Eiffel has joined forces with seven other public institutions to sign a charter of openness to society. By adopting this charter, they have renewed their commitment to sharing their values in order to provide a better understanding of risks and the means to prevent and reduce them.
Université Gustave Eiffel has joined the online media website The Conversation France.This initiative allows researchers, faculty members and doctoral students to share their knowledge to enrich the public debate and shed light on current events.
Université Gustave Eiffel offers adults in search of training, information and culture the opportunity to satisfy their thirst for knowledge and exchange by taking part in a series of conferences on various topics.